Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

The first meeting of parents was held on 28 March 1878 when residents formed a committee to agitate for a school of their own. At that time only Pimpama School was opened and children had to walk across heavily timbered ridges to get to school. The first teacher was Mr Hutton Banks who opened the doors with seventeen children on 5 August 1878. The school was known as Podinga Provisional School.

1892
Name changed to Ormeau Provisional School
1909​ Ormeau, along with a large number of Provisional Schools throughout Queensland, became a State School.​
1917​ A new school was built to accommodate a growing community. The same site was used.​
 1937 ​ A new site was selected and another school was built. As the community continued to grow additional buildings were added and eventually the site became too small again with several demountable buildings.​
1978​ Land donated by the Holm family for a new site on the opposite side of the highway in Canowindra Estate, Pimpama. Ormeau State School Area is 4.5 hectares​
2003​ Ormeau State School celebrated 125 years of learning and teaching with a Sunday Funday on 2 August 2003. The 125th Anniversary Dinner was held at the Gainsborough Greens Golf Club to celebrate achievements. The great debate entertained the gathering and was titled “That the good old days were not really so bad”.​
 2007​ Population is 885 (June 2007) and growing.​
2008​ Growth continues. Enrolment peaked at 1050 students.​
2009​ New schools opens in Ormeau at Norfolk Village and Ormeau Woods SHS.
​2015 ​Ormeau State School became an Independent Public School with an enrolment of 780. (March 2015).